Partnering with Staff
We believe staff are one of the most important parts of camp and that partnering with them sets everyone up for the most success. That means asking questions, coming up with ideas and being willing to try new ways of doing things, really listening to staff, and spending time getting to know them is hugely important.
We have resources for recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, and everything in between.
To access the files for free, sign up for our newsletter below and refresh the page.
Most of our free resources are ready for you to take and run with. Some of our biggest tips for using them (and for staff training in general):
- Relationships over content. Staff who really care about camp and each other will outperform staff who can name every developmental milestone of every camper age.
- When it doubt, have them talk. Pair and shares, walk and talks, small group discussions, whatever works for you!
- Make it interactive, and when you can't, make it quick. You can add games, writing reflections, silent meetings, or more.
Staff Training Sessions
- Camp Controversies & Crises eBook
- Running Check In Circles
- Running Community Circles
- Presenting Your Camp Schedule
- Culture Shifts
- Wacky Walkies
- Working with Parents
- Finding the Balance
- Reverse Photo Scavenger Hunt
- Smartphone Scrapbook
- Introduction to Hidden Curriculum Workshop
- Core Stories
- Camp Kiko Crisis Challenge
- Party Planning
- A Very Tiny Boat
- Klee's Icebreakers
- Kurtz's Icebreakers
- Quick Homesickness Handout
- Responding to Conflict in a Group
- Cabin/Group Bonding Activities
- 10 Backpocket Games for Every Counselor
- Inclusion Specialist Guide
- Working with Volunteers
Surveys, Evals, and Debriefs
- Pre-Staff Training Survey
- Staff Training Check-In
- Daily Cabin/Group Check In Form
- End of Staff Training Survey
- Staff End-of-Summer Survey
- Summer Debrief Flashcards
- Mid-Summer Self Eval
- Mid-Summer Staff Check In
The templates below are Canva templates. If you’re a non-profit, you can get Canva Pro for free.
- Staff Guidebook
- Staff Lounge/Office Posters
- Camper Wellness Job Description (PDF)
- Camper Wellness Job Description (Word)
All Things Staff Posts
From Megan Kneifl, YMCA Camp Kitaki, Program Director
Every year as we turn the corner at the mid-point of our ten-week summer, the support...
All Things Staff Episodes
Season 1, Episode 26
Allison Krabill is joined by Laura Grube, Hanna Sue Percy, and Lenny Lorenz, all seasonal leadership staff at their...
Our Staff Videos
Want More Help?
Our members get 20+ extra staff training sessions plus a fully-planned week of staff training and a full-planned weekend of leadership staff training.
Want us to do it? No problem! We have a team of trainers who can customize a training perfect for your camp.